I swore that I’d never have to write one of these, but it’s going to be really simple. When commenting on anything here, do not insult the host or any other commenters. If you visit someone’s home and insult them, don’t be surprised if you get asked to leave.
By and large, the comments section is mostly unmoderated. There’s some automagical stuff going on to prevent the absolute worst of the spam and junk. Before you say “but what about free speech”, consider this blog private property, and I am the owner. Free speech doesn’t apply on private property – my roof, my rule. If you wish to disagree with anything I’ve posted, then you are welcome. I like an informed debate, and who knows, you might even change my mind in the process.
If, however, you wish to use this as a platform to insult me, or fellow commenters, then don’t bleat if that platform is removed from you pretty sharply.
Treat the comments section like the front porch of my house. It faces the street. You may drop in and join the conversation, but you are on my property and if you cannot respect the basic rules of civility, you will be asked to leave or, if absolutely necessary, compelled to leave.
The policy, therefore, is thus:
- No spam
- No libellous – or potentially libellous comments
- Be polite and civil, both to me and other commenters
- No anonymous comments. If you don’t want to use your real name, that’s fine. Just make something up and use that.
- Any bans or deletions that I may make is absolute and final. No appeals
- Don’t try to impersonate other people
- No trolling
Other than that, feel free to discuss.